Thursday, June 27, 2013

YOLFO

Alternate Title: YOLO: You're Doing It Wrong

This new YOLO craze is... Special... I mean when you think about it, it's just a justification for people to do the wild and crazy shit they are ALREADY doing anyway. No one has heard the term YOLO and been like, 'Oh man!! I didn't know. Let's get out there and  jump off of a building on my bike'

I have to say that this trend is annoying. Not just because it's a bunch of frat boys in basketball shorts and loafers screaming out YOLO as they make risky life decisions but because, if you truly are making choices based on the fact that you only live once, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!

If this is in actuality the ONLY life I have then I sure as hell don't want to quickly kill myself doing a mindless stunt. I want to spend it LIVING!!

And so as I've contemplated this special trend I compiled a list of some things I personally want to make sure I do in my one life to live.

1) Appreciate More: I need to take the time to thank people more. And more genuinely. I need to be grateful for what I have.

Only when you are truly grateful will you feel like what you have is enough and more.

2) Love Deeply: I want to always make sure the people I love know it. I want them to feel it and never question how much they truly mean to me.

3) Explore: I have always made traveling a priority. I want to see the world but I also need to make sure I explore where I live too. Do you know that I lived in Utah for 27 years and I never once went to Sundance Film Festival? I feel like that is a huge opportunity lost. I will make sure I don't let that happen again.

4) Learn: Never. Stop. Learning.

5) Serve: A life lived in service is a life truly full. No one has ever helped someone else and said, "man I sure regret that." I often get so bogged down with the things I'm doing that I forget to make time for others. And you know, when you make the time for other people, all those things I thought were bogging me seem to be not nearly as oppressive as they were.

The bottom line is that I want to be the best person I can be.

Because you know, You Only Live Fucking Once.

No comments:

Post a Comment